Say Hello to Monika Deviat!

Monika Deviat is a force of nature who happens to love playing outside in nature, especially in the dark. In addition to being passionate about photography and teaching, she has made mentorship and inclusion a cornerstone of her personal business. Find out more about Monika by visiting her website, giving her a follow on her socials, and reading more below!

What is the best (or worst) advice you have ever gotten (or given)?

A lot of people deal with imposter syndrome, and I am one of those people. During a mentoring session regarding the business of fitness, a helpful piece of advice was given to me. It was about teaching, and I've been able to apply it in so many places. I was told that there are a lot of people that don't have the knowledge you have, and the way you explain something or share that knowledge can be unique and what actually helps someone with a concept.

What was the last piece of equipment you bought or class you attended?

Nikon z8

What is your most or how do you deal with your most challenging professional struggle? (Digital hoarding, perfectionism/over-thinking, time management, etc.)

Marketing is the most difficult part of the photography business. I am a quiet and introverted person, so trying to be out there all the time is challenging.

If there was one thing you could change about the industry or an insider secret you think shouldn't be a secret, what would that be?

I would love for there to be more (visible) diversity in the photography industry. I think this has been changing much more recently, but I still see a need for more. There need to be more women and people of colour in leadership, speaking and education roles.

What do you do to remain grounded, connected, balanced, and/or centred when life feels overwhelming?

Going out to shoot with no plan is a great way to get immersed in nature and disconnect. Finding random subjects to get creative with can help the brain reset.

Who do you admire (professionally or personally), and why? Please feel free to include a link to their social media platform(s), an article or book they've written you'd like to recommend, etc.

Devin Townsend is a human I admire and who has been an inspiration in my journey of being an oddball. He is an amazing musician and composer and his music spans from intense and heavy progressive metal to the most beautiful and calm acoustic songs. He stays true to his creative vision and what he wants to do, no matter how different it might be or what current fans might think.

When and how did you know (or suspect) that you had found your calling as a creative?

I think I have always been drawn to creative pursuits. When I was in elementary school, I played piano. In high school I was really into my art classes. In University, where I studied Physics, I played guitar in a rock band. Photography and Pole Dancing are the ones that stuck around the longest and really hooked me the last 15 years. I love the freedom I found in both.

Do you have any advice to give (or that you wish someone else could give you) about maintaining work/life balance?

Always put aside some time for yourself. It can be hard because there are always deadlines, people you are accountable to, etc. But, if you are not being creative for yourself, if you are burning out, that unhappiness and exhaustion will take over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 2023 50/50 Challenge with Guest Judge Monika Deviat

Congratulations July 2023 50/50 winner Darlene Hildebrandt

May 2023 50/50 Match Brief - Dave Brosha