January 2023's Wonder-full Whimsy-call 50/50 winner is Bonnie Hoskin!!!


Rare Earth invites you to join us in congratulating Bonnie Hoskin for answering the wonderful call to get her whimsy on and winning this month's 50/50 Challenge!

Bonnie is a seasoned photographer who regularly shares her work on Facebook and ShareBug. Please give her and Traditions Photography a like and a follow over on Facebook.

Below is Bonnie's winning image, what she had to say about taking on this challenge, and Joel's feedback.

Hot Chocolate Disaster


In Bonnie's Words:

Because this is a winter challenge, I wanted to share an image of my favorite cold weather drink; hot chocolate, with marshmallows. I wanted to show how the warmth of hot chocolate warms my soul, therefore I used warm tones throughout.

To match the brief I chose to have myself enjoying a larger than life marshmallow, that I rescued from the disaster of having the cup of hot chocolate tip over and spill all over the side table. The magical theme of having myself in a larger than life cup of hot chocolate is a dream come true. Who wouldn't want to bask in a cup of hot chocolate with giant floaty marshmallows? Yes, it would be sticky once you jumped out, but ooo the warmth of the hot chocolate, and the giant soft squishy marshmallows.... The process started with making a cup of hot chocolate of course! And from there I photographed the cup after I had carefully dumped the contents out. The final image is composed of the cup of hot chocolate laying on the table, a selection of marshmallows that had fallen out of the cup, a single miniature marshmallow, and myself pretending to eat a giant marshmallow (stand in for the marshmallow was a clear plastic 4l jug) This was a huge challenge for me, as I find I have a great imagination, but rarely follow through and try something new. I enjoyed the process, and my try some more, but probably not as intricate.

In Joel's words:

I absolutely love this idea, and I love that it has a personal touch in the story relating it to your favourite wintertime drink! I love the emotion in it, it really shows a lighthearted and fun image. The tones are great, the blue really stands out, I think the only things I'd like to see is a bit more negative space at the top so there's a bit more balance with the space at the bottom and maybe a touch more shadow on the marshmallows underneath the legs. All in all a fantastic and creative image, keep going!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 2023 50/50 Challenge with Guest Judge Monika Deviat

Congratulations July 2023 50/50 winner Darlene Hildebrandt

May 2023 50/50 Match Brief - Dave Brosha